Suceava is a historic settlement located near the Romanian capital of Bucharest. In recent years, the city has seen an explosion in the use of private motorised transport leading to increased greenhouse gas emissions and local air pollution. The city would like to modernise its housing stock and introduce alternative forms of transport whilst maintaining its distinctive character.
Read Suceava's Replication Plan for a more detailed insight into the city's plans and policies.
Suceava’s Centru District has a population of 25,000 inhabitants and 2-3,000 daily commuters working in the area. The area combines traditional housing, with more modern apartment buildings and newly constructed office blocks and shopping malls.
Particular needs identified by the city of Suceava include:
- Ageing and inefficient building stock
- Increased motorised traffic leading to congestion and air pollution
- Limited green space
12 Smart Solutions
Click on the headings below to find out which of the 12 Smart Solutions Suceava works to replicate:
Low Energy District
1. Efficient and smart climate shell refurbishment
Energy efficient refurbishment of residential buildings
2. Smart building logistics
Construction consolidation centre
3. Smart energy-saving tenants
Home Energy Management System
4. Smart electricity management
Building Energy Management System (BEMS) to minimize consumption of fossil fuels and electricity
5. Smart Lighting, lampposts and traffic posts as hubs for communication
Smart street lighting
Combined electrical charging and street lighting poles + wifi
7. Smart waste collection
Optical sorting of waste
Introduction of AWCS (Automated waste collecting system) in an existing neighborhood
Waste collection statistics for individual households/businesses
Sustainable Urban Mobility
10. Smart traffic management
Traffic management through MFD
Travel Demand management
Traffic control system for passenger vehicles.
Traffic signals synchronized to prioritize certain vehicles movement of goods
11. Alternative fuel driven vehicles
Developing charging infrastructure
As a follower city within Growsmarter, Suceava works with Stockholm, Cologne and Barcelona to:
- Reduce energy consumption and increase energy efficiency in public and private buildings.
- Reduce traffic-related emissions and associated impacts through car-sharing, park and ride schemes and the introduction of electric vehicles and infrastructure.
- Increase the use of alternative energies (solar, biomass, geothermal) and reduce dependency on fossil fuels.
- Introduce separate waste collection and increase recycling levels.